Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Good deed of the day

Today...I ran across a blog post that was -- how can I say this -- not saying nice things about a certain scrapbooking something.

The premiere issue of Digital Scrapbooking Magazine hits the stands this week.

As a scrapbooker, I'm ambivilant. (I'm a die-hard paste eater).

As a scrapbooking professional, I am thrilled.

Scrapbooking is moving forward and embracing what was once deemed a threat. I'm certain that digital scrapbooking will bring more consumers to our market. We (as an industry, a community, and a network) must accept (and have been accepting) digital scrapbooking as a legitimate form of creativly preserving our memories and adjust accordingly.

Hey, anyone hear of Darwin?

In the past year, we have adjusted to this new breed of scrapbookers; but for some digital scrapbookers, we haven't worked fast enough.

So I read a blog that mentioned some message boards that talked about (i.e., slammed) the delay of Digital Scrapbooking Magazine.

Um, I can think of several things I'm more concerned about, like do I plant my Kolanches in the front beds, or do I pot them for the back patio?

And I'm serious.

So instead of deciding on my deciduous plants, I emailed DSM's associate editor, Molly Newman, and brought the drama to her attention (tweet, tweet). She was very grateful and was able to address this issue appropriately...since she now knew about it! Yes, the drama unfolded on the blogosphere instead of directly with the people that could actually deal with the issue!

This is not the first time this has happened, and I have heard countless stories of the nicest people in scrapbooking having to deal with the cruelest of comments, demands, and -- yes, I'm serious -- threats.

The internet is where democracy meets technology. It is where our wonderful freedom of speech will be overused and tested. And I encourage that.

Still, I'm a mom, and as a mom, I must remind you: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Or at least tell someone who can do something about it. Geez.

Let me give some of you a word of advice: if you want to be a scrapbooking professional, you need to act in a professional manner.

If you don't know what that means, then you're still an amateur.

I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.

ETP!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?